Friday, April 29, 2011

A "bombastic" Final Site Vist.

Well, in the closing of the semester, final site visits came around. We were instructed to give 15-20 min presentations in a meeting with our site supervisor and a member of the urban staff. Meredith and I received a phone call from the reception desk that Barry had arrived for me and we went downstairs to one of the conference rooms, me with my learning contract and several examples of my semester work in hand.
Usually I am not a good presentation giver, but this was easy. One, because it was only with two other people, and I know them both pretty well; and two, because it was something I am now really very passionate about, making it fun to share my thoughts and what I've learned with others.
I went through my learning contract goals one by one, giving Barry examples of work I'd done and then having Meredith provide feedback. I showed some tangible examples of my semester work (newsletters, photos, designs) and told some stories that exemplified some of the principles I've learned.
Barry thanked me for my presentation and told me I'd done well. Meredith and I returned upstairs, discussing the presentation. As we set foot back in the office door, the phone rang; it was the reception desk calling to tell us that Brad and another woman were here for me. Confused, Meredith and I wandered back downstairs. Brad apologized for being late, explaining he had hoped to sit in on my presentation with Tatiana (a board member from Westmont, visiting to evaluate the Urban program). He asked if I would mind giving it briefly again. So, I got out another copy of my learning contract, went into the gallery and gave my entire 15 minute presentation again. About half way through, Brad gets this worried look on his face, says "Oh I'm so sorry. I've just remembered I didn't lock my car and my computer is in there", and runs out of the room, leaving me and Tatiana to sit and wait, trying to make conversation.
What an awesome experience.
The day just got better, as we were having community dinner provided by Meghan and Katie. They sent out an email, saying it was theme dinner (we often have those) and everyone should dress "bombastic". I walk into the house to find Merna standing in the hallway looking well, hella bombastic (like my Nor Cal slang? haha). Black sequined skirt, stilettos, eye makeup, glitzy rings and chewing bubble gum. "Merna! Whoa..." I exclaimed. "Well, I'm just dressing the part. Want some gum?" Before I could answer, Brad comes walking down the hallway looking not so bombastic, but trying desperately with a sombrero on his head. Yep, that's our staff. Man, I love living in this house with all it's crazy people. Great theme dinner! Great day!

No comments: